Antarctica is the southernmost continent of Earth as well as the only continent on Earth that has large areas of land that are not actively claimed by any major government. Several micronational territorial claims are present on the continent, although some of them are recognized only by their respective claimants. Because of this, Antarctica has been a "hot spot" for self-declared sovereign states and secessionist movements.
List of sovereign states[edit | edit source]
Antarctic self-declared sovereign states[edit | edit source]
Current active self-declared sovereign states located in Antarctica.
- Tsardom of Phokland (10 February 2007)
- Free Republic of Verdis (29 March 2019 after Sycamore's merge)
- Grand Duchy of Westarctica (2 November 2001)
- Federal Republic of Lostisland (April 19 2013)
- Empire of Emosia (13 February 2019)
Self-declared sovereign states with other claims[edit | edit source]
Current active self-declared sovereign states located with claims in Antarctica and other places.